Friday, June 4, 2010

Will Grayson, Will Grayson - John Green & David Levithan

Will Grayson, Will Grayson was co-written by two fabulous authors, John Green and David Levithan. The book is about two boys named Will Grayson who randomly meet each other in Chicago. Honestly, any description I give beyond this just doesn't seem like it would do the book justice.

I had never read a book that was co-authored before so I was pretty excited to do so. After seeing a bunch of talk about this from some of my online book girls, I added it to my TBR list and months later I got my hands on it.

I feel as if something is wrong with me though. As much as I liked this book and yes, I would read it again, I didn't love it as much as everyone else seems to. Maybe it was a classic case of too much hype and anticipation that built it up far beyond what it should have been. I'm not sure. There were certainly things that I did love about this book though, I loved the one liners and the sentiment behind what drove each Will Grayson. I also really liked that this book was nothing like I thought it was going to be.

I did like how each Will Grayson was different than the other but that they were also pretty similar in that they thought they wanted to be alone or didn't feel like it would be wise for them to open up to anyone and then each one finding a person that challenges them and shows them that it's ok to be open.

My favorite character in this book had to have been Tiny Cooper. He was one of the most realistic best friends that I have read about. He's there to back you up, call you on stuff, but also gets so wrapped up in himself that it seems like you've been forgotten. I really do appreciate you Tiny Cooper.

4 comments:

  1. There was a LOT of hype about this book, so there were bound to be some disappointed people. I loved it personally! I also appreciate Tiny Cooper :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went into this book blind, because I don't really read reviews until after I have read the book. I know weird right?

    Well I had seen this book title one too many times on a discussion board I follow, so I figured it was time to take the plunge.

    I totally loved it, mostly for it's wit and one liners. As I was reading I was totally putting movie star characters to the faces because I totally think this book should be a movie.

    Tiny Cooper, he will be played by the super gay guy on Mean Girls, because when the SGG on MG is standing up in the sun roof yelling "I want my pink shirt back, I want my pink shirt back!!!" Tell me you can see that same man yell "I AM TINY COOPER!! HEAR MY ROAR!!!"

    But, Tiny Cooper.......one of my favorite characters all year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. on a side note, my book blog is this one:
    http://365days100books.blogspot.com/
    and I will be doing my review of WG WG sometime this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Randi, this book should totally be a movie! I loved it, every last sentence. I understand about hype though, I am always afraid to read books with a lot of hype for that very reason. I feel like I *am* Tiny Cooper, therefore JG and DL wrote the book for me so that's probably why I feel so connected to it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails