Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Fiery Cross - Diana Gabaldon

I just finished reading The Fiery Cross and let me tell you, it felt like a task. I started reading this book during my book funk so I don't think that helped any. Finally though, after a few months I have finished.

First of all, I love everything about this series. I love that these books are so long because I love spending all that time with the characters. My love wasn't enough to get me through this book as quickly as I did the others though.

The Fiery Cross started with Jamie, Claire, Brianna, and Roger visiting River Run for Jocasta's wedding to Jamie's friend Duncan. The first half takes place right before, during, and after the wedding and this is the part that seemed to drag for me. There were some interesting happenings going on, and everything was a good setup for future events, but for the most part I was ready for the next portion of this book and I really hoped it picked up. Boy, did it.

Not long after everyone returns to Fraser's Ridge Jamie and Roger must leave to stand with the Milita against the Regulators at Alamance. Once the skirmish is over, Roger is purposefully identified as a Regulator and what happens literally left me open-mouthed.

After leaving Alamance, Jamie, Claire, and family return to Fraser's Ridge where Jamie eventually teaches Roger how to fight and a plan is made to catch and kill Stephen Bonnet. Once put into motion, the plan for Bonnet does not go according to plan and he ends up in the same area as Claire, Brianna, and Marsali, instead of with Jamie and Roger.

The last few chapters of the book we are reunited with Jamie's nephew Ian and he brings along an interesting item along with him for Claire and we find out more about others who have passed through the stones.

Once I got past the wedding and all that ensues with that, the book seemed to get a lot more interesting and there were a lot of varied emotions. I couldn't believe all that Roger and Jamie had gone through and I was beyond excited that Ian was back in the picture. After all this, I'm once again excited about continuing the series and I think my book funk is officially over.

I will leave you with the last few lines of the book.

"When the day shall come, that we do part," he said softly, and turned to look at me, "if my last words are not "I love you"--ye'll ken it was because I didna have time." - Jamie Fraser

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails