Thursday, May 20, 2010

Cracked Up To Be - Courtney Summers

Parker Fadley has a secret and her life is no longer perfect. After being put on suicide watch by her parents and school, the former perfect cheerleading captain, distinguished honor roll member, and girlfriend of the most popular boy in school has purposefully distanced herself from all of these things. All Parker wants is to be left alone and not feel anything, but when the new kid, Jake, takes an interest in her and starts asking questions, she finds herself feeling again. Does Parker really want to be left alone or is it just her bit?

After reading Some Girls Are a few weeks ago by Courtney Summers, I just had to read Cracked Up To Be. I liked this book but not to the degree that I liked Some Girls Are. I'm glad I read it though and I liked how Courtney shared Parker's secret. She didn't come outright and say what happened and you find out bits of the story all the way through the book. The more of the story I got I decided it had to be one of two things and one of my theory's ended up being right.

I found Jake somewhat annoying at parts because he just kept pushing Parker to answer questions and a lot of the time her character just seemed forced. Part of me can't help but think that maybe that was how she was supposed to be though because of the accidental suicide and just wanting someone to take the extra effort to get behind what changed her.

Overall, I didn't love this book as much as I hoped I would but I really did like it and am glad I read it. If you haven't read it, you should at least do so once because it's definitely worth that.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails